7:00 p.m. CenturyLink Field

Present (18 of 48): Kyle Boyd, Cameron Collins, Paul Cox, Michael Dollard, Woody Favinger,
Leann Johnson, Roberta King, Angelica Mendoza, Pablo Mendoza, Kris Mydske, Jerry Neil, Randy Nunez, Brian Prouty, Jeff Randle, Erin Riley, Stephanie Steiner, Brendan Vaughn, Kristina Vaughn

Guests:  Taylor Graham, Megan West

Next meeting:    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.

I. Call to order – Paul Cox

II. Roll call – Angelica Mendoza

  1. 18 of 48 members present
  2. 12 needed to establish quorum

III. FO guest speakers – Megan West and Taylor Graham

  • Megan West – Senior Manager, Loyalty Programs and Special Projects
  • Match Pass program
    • 10-11k accounts with 35% average engaging in Match Pass program
    • Options include swiping on match day, entering codes, redeeming rewards, contest entry, etc.
    • Would like to maintain engagement from both those who prefer 20% return and those who prefer to redeem
    • All points expire at the end of calendar year (December 31)
    • No ability to email pass owners with current point value; however push notifications via the Sounders FC app would be helpful
    • Rewards typically posted on Tuesday or Wednesday during the work day; suggested to vary this to widen impact
    • Free items offered during window regardless of point value
    • Suggestion of one default card that accumulates all points from all cards on the account (one value for entire account rather than separate for each card)
    • Some feel as though they will never earn enough to actually redeem for something valuable
    • Bonus points currently issued for STH renewal as well as years as STH
    • Reward suggestions
      • Attend post-match press conference
      • VIP status at practice at Starfire
      • Choose starting 11 for international friendly
      • Message of choice on big screens
      • Personalized voicemail greeting or video by player
    • Send additional ideas to Megan or Executive Committee who will route accordingly
    • AC to discuss future direction of program at November meeting

 

  • EOY business meeting
    • Adjusting venue and time of year; switch to weekend date to make more appealing
    • Planning on November mid-playoffs (targeting the week of the FIFA match)
    • Evening preference; afternoon event conflicts with community youth matches
    • Suggestion of improved communication re purpose of the event
    • Work group requests information as early as possible to aid in organizing/assisting
    • Send suggestions to Megan or Executive Committee who will route accordingly

 

  • Taylor Graham – Senior Director of Business Operations
  • Recognition for Landon Donovan at October 25 match
  • League approached SSFC inquiring as to how they will honor as ambassador for game and important figure in American soccer
  • General fan base would support some sort of recognition
  • Nationally broadcasted on ESPN
  • Suggestions
    • Do not honor prior to the match
    • Focus on USMNT achievements rather than MLS
    • Videotaped presentation hours before match displayed pre-match or during halftime
  • FO will devise initial plan and run by AC for feedback

 IV. Open items

a) 2015 scarf design – Kristina Vaughn

  • Link distributed yesterday
  • September 19 deadline to submit designs
  • Clarify up-front design limitations (what is allowed and what is not)
  • Artistic representation of Space Needle is allowed
  • Over 200 designs submitted last year
  • Work group disqualified from participation
  • AC to help message that fans wanted this opportunity and initiative was not imposed by FO
  • Ranked voting not possible; pick your favorite only
  • Winner to be announced at October 25 fan appreciation match

b) Work group updates – Stephanie Steiner

  • Match day table – Leann Johnson
    • Feedback returned to FO
    • Need more support to work table, if we wish to continue
  • Charitable partners – Angelica Mendoza
    • FO designated five partners
    • Offer for AC to select which to eliminate and propose another
    • AC does not wish to pursue
  • Banners from past championships – Stephanie Steiner
    • Banners will not be purchased this season
    • Fans proposed to raise money to purchase; FO did not accept
    • Will be brought up at EOY business meeting
  • AC online – Pablo Mendoza
    • Discussion re external AC site linked to main SSFC page
    • Questions re funding, management and control going forward
    • Ability to maintain site increases significantly with external site
    • Work group to determine funding and proposal to FO
  • 40th Anniversary – Paul Cox
    • Rumors of special warm-up suit for last match
    • Many things planned for fan appreciation match versus VAN
  • FO presentations – Roberta King
    • October – “Fan Innovation Center”
    • November – EOY meeting preparation
  • Giveaways for STHs – Brian Prouty
    • Suggestions submitted to FO
    • FO reviewing and considering proposals
  • Third kit design – Paul Cox
    • No input in third kit; instead have the option of neck or jock tag
    • Will devise work group to come up with simple plan for jock tag design
    • Adidas will work with us on trademark issues
    • 2016 release
  • AC logo – Kyle Boyd
    • Likkit Pocinwong has a draft design ready for review
    • Kyle to follow-up and report back to AC
  • EOY meeting questions – Woody Favinger
    • Will discuss with FO re form for completing questions
    • Work group to determine and execute plan
  • EOY meeting – Angelica Mendoza
    • Angelica to lead coordination with FO and determine AC involvement
    • Goal of 2k attendees

c) USL Pro – Paul Cox

  • Team willing to give fans ownership stake in USL Pro team
  • Fans to create separate organization to assume ownership; non-profit with members owning a share
  • Non-equity share; even if team turns a profit, owners do not get paid
  • Benefits include discounts, special events and meetings, etc.
  • Hoping for employee in FO to work as liaison to fan ownership and interact with community
  • Suggestions
    • Small Board of Directors
    • Sell business sponsorships
    • Keep Alliance and AC as it is, though AC would like updates
    • Give USL Pro STHs membership in Alliance
    • Solicit volunteers to launch USL Pro Board; significant time/energy commitment
  • Concerns re losing AC talent to USL Pro Board, though do not have to be on AC to assist
  • 5-7 person Board with regular planning meetings; volunteers to talk to community and spread the word
  • Huge campaign to generate public interest
  • Marketing support to be provided by FO
  • Opportunity for Seattle to trail blaze in American soccer
  • No one able to purchase larger portion of ownership
  • Founders Club available to those who purchase within limited time; otherwise able to buy-in at any time
  • SSFC wishes to announce within a month at a press conference
  • PDX and VAN will announce around same time as SSFC; SSFC only to announce fan ownership component
  • Amended motion for USL Pro work group to launch and run independent from AC with regular updates and opportunities for AC to provide non-binding feedback passed
  • AC authorizes work group (and ultimately Board) to work independently

V. Adjournment – Motion to adjourn passed