SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ALLIANCE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

October 6, 2015 7:00 p.m.

The Ninety Present

 (11 of 32): Cameron Collins, Paul Cox, Craig Dillon, Roberta King, Angelica Mendoza, Jerry Neil, Karl Picard, Daniel Roe, Stephanie Steiner, Brendan Vaughn, Kristina Vaughn Via telephone: Likkit Pocinwong

Next meeting: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 7:00 p.m

I. Call to order – Stephanie Steiner

II. Roll call – Angelica Mendoza – 11 of 32 members present

III. Approval of minutes – Stephanie Steiner

IV. Old business

  1. Scarf vote update – Kristina Vaughn
  • Committee narrowed to top five designs with two alternates and provided to Taylor Graham

o 41 submissions this year (compared to 160 last year)

  • Ruffneck sponsoring design contest this year · Voting begins October 12 and continues through October 23 o Only STHs received email announcement re voting opportunity

o Question re seat designees not receiving email notifications

  • Winner announced at October 25 match
  • Committee role complete at this point; Club takes over from here
  • Considering future opportunity for design competition for kids
  1. Constitution and bylaws – Stephanie Steiner
  • 2013 vote

o Constitution posted on website is not up-to-date

o Added Bylaw 8 in 2013, which created standing committees (e.g., work groups)

o Articles gave us ability to create Executive Committee

o Planned to include in Alliance-wide vote for approval with GM voting procedures

  • AC voted and approved in 2014; agreeing to adopt Constitution as a working document
  • 2015 new bylaws o Passed presumed Bylaw 8 at last AC meeting; now to become Bylaw 9

o What exists on the website now has not been approved by vote of Alliance

o Fix and clean-up to put out to Alliance-wide vote in 2016

o Start 2016 AC year with cleanest, most up-to-date version of Constitution as a working document

  1. Council minutes and documents – Stephanie Steiner
  • Website archives are now up-to-date

o Very few meeting minutes for 2011

o Contact Stephanie, if aware something is missing from the Archives

o Existing archive structure difficult to search

V. New business

A) Proposed amendment to attendance bylaw – Angelica Mendoza

  • Attendance bylaw amendment passed at last meeting
  • Two changes proposed with current amendment

o Members who have missed the previous three meetings in a row are ineligible to attend meetings with owners

o Members with non-voting member status are ineligible to participate in any perks or incremental activities as a Council member or guest of a Council member

  • Cameron Collins proposal to amend amendment to add “or receive” between “or participate in” and “any Council member perks or incremental activities” passed unanimously

B) Proposed amendments to Bylaws 1 and 3 – Cameron Collins

  • As bylaws are written, AC votes do not hold power
  • Anyone may bring something to AC, regardless of voting status (e.g., non-voting or ex-oficio)
  • Any additional changes should ensure that references to bylaw numbers are correct
  • Two proposed amendments unanimously passed

o Phrasing “Council members present” to be replaced with “quorum”

o Strike phrasing between “of” and “quorum” in 5.1 and 5.2

  • Consider adding time limit to Club discussion during AC meeting; otherwise “discuss issue fully” is sufficient as loose definition allows for greater discretion
  • Cameron will draft updates for discussion at November meeting

C) 2015 Annual Business Meeting – Kristina Vaughn

  • Set for Thursday, November 12
  • Doors open at 6:00 p.m. and meeting begins at 7:00 p.m.
  • AC meeting with ownership beforehand
  • Unable to announce emcee at this time
  • Cash bar and light snacks available (suggest special lids to allow drinks inside of the theatre)
  • Players and trophies planned for preshow o Suggest a request to ECS to bring Cascadia Cup

o Propose large team photo with cutout to allow fans to put their head in and take photos

o Propose players in different configuration than last year as it bottlenecked

o Suggest giveaway items for MatchPass holders or a raffle ticket on your way in

  • Suggested program

o Drew Carey – welcome and video (previously democracy in sports)

o Bart Wiley – business report o Stephanie Steiner – AC report o Cameron Collins – GM vote and recall process

o Adrian – team update

o Q&A

  • Jerry Neil and Cameron Collins to manage Q&A
  • Hashtag #sfcbiz
  • Begin compiling and categorizing questions via email and social media

D) 2017 jock tag and neck tape – Likkit Pocinwong

  • 2016 first and third kits will include COS logo as jock tag (second kit is white again)
  • Duwamish Tribe did not officially bless, but authorized use
  • No information available on 2016 neck tape at this point
  • Option to design both jock tag and neck tape for 2017 season (phrasing and/or imaging)
  • No hard deadline to submit yet, but the sooner the better
  • Suggested that we select a new design; Cameron Collins and Jerry Neil will lead on soliciting ideas

E) Annual Business Meeting format change – Kristina Vaughn

  • Is there interest in changing the format of the meeting for future years?
  • Do not eliminate Q&A portion
  • Push AC recruitment during AC report and show examples of what AC has accomplished (e.g., jock tag design, GM voting procedures)
  • Offer AC, SCT and supporter groups table space
  • Keep lines minimal and moving
  • Photo booth with one photographer who posts all for download rather than fans utilizing smartphones
  • Consider change of venue
  • Difficult to encourage attendance on a weeknight
  • Expo or “Sounders Summit” rather than “End of Year Business Meeting”

o Similar to organization of Mariners FanFest

o Start of season in conjunction with first week of practice at Starfire

  • Hold event before season is over to ensure players are in town and emphasize player appearances well in advance
  • Work group to present proposal to AC, then to Megan West and Club VI. Open discussion
  • Feedback from last match

o Sold out of HALO jerseys by noon

o Opportunity to purchase online was not well-advertised

o Size Large only as part of giveaway

VI.  Adjournment – Motion to adjourn passed