Meeting Recap: June 2017

Alliance Council Meeting 6/6/2017

By Karl Picard

We opened with a discussion with the front office around the 2019 jersey.  This allowed the AC to provide input but overall the club will provide the input back to the league and Adidas.  There are lots of areas for input as the process goes on but the input starts now.

We got to meet Jeff who just joined the AC.  Really wants to do what he can to improve the fan experience.  Deep family experience with soccer though both his personal play an experience as well as that with his kids.

Charitable contribution – there was a question in the survey and we are researching options for the Alliance.  We discussed a few options and more details on the decision should come soon.

Alliance Scarf Vote is coming soon – look for mail from the Club announcing dates and deadlines on submissions and voting.

10 years of the Alliance, this initiative is coming later this year.  We are kicking off working on some blog posts, video and other ideas and we are targeting one a month in the run up tonext season.  The goal is working on bringing awareness of the history of the Alliance Council and the Alliance as a whole.  We plan on having about 10 – 15 posts.

Constitution vote coming soon. Look for more updates and articles very soon.

If this is something that interests you, please join the Alliance council or provide your ideas in the comments below

Meeting Recap: May 2017

May 17th, 2017
By Alex Eagleton

Our May 2017 meeting kicked off with a presentation from the Rave Foundation presented by Kimberly Aigner (Director of Community Outreach), Ashley Fosberg (Executive Director); and Katie Pendleton (Community Outreach Coordinator).

As some of you may be aware, the Rave Foundation is the official charitable arm of the Sounders. We discussed what the foundation is all about and their mission in leading, serving, and investing in the community. Part of those initiatives was seen during the 5/10 match at Century Link Field as part of the Give Big day where the Rave Foundation raised $9926 towards building soccer fields in the community. Also part of Give Big, each player on the Sounders team, including staff and coaches selected a non-profit in an effort to raise funds for their favorite charities.

We also discussed some of the other programs under the Rave Foundation: GOALS for Art, ONE Ball, RAVE Fields, and FREE Play. Each initiative is designed to drive participation, creativity, being active, and community pride.

The presentation concluded with status on current and future projects, partnerships, and upcoming events. If you would like to learn more or donate, you can visit the Rave Foundation website.

After the presentation concluded, we discussed business from our previous meeting which included follow up from existing issues in regards to bags at the stadium. Darla provided follow up in regards to the matter and will continue to work on this matter.

The meeting concluded with updates on all of our initiatives for 2017. We assigned leaders for the GM Vote and had a discussion on updates regarding Stars for All, Visibility, Matchpass Rewards money for charity, The Save, etc.

Finally, the Alliance Council is looking for enthusiastic and motivated people to join the council. We have a lot of goals and initiatives that need people like you. If this sounds like you or you would like to learn more, please visit http://ssfcalliancecouncil.com/standing-for-alliance-council/. You can also reach out to us and learn more about the Alliance Council.

Meeting Recap: April 2017

April 16th, 2017
By Karl Picard

The initial part of the meeting was reviewing the corporate partnerships with the Front Office and Michael Shockley (VP of Corporate Partnerships) and Allison Smyrl (Director of Partnership Marketing).

We discussed some of the new partners and how the key to these relationships is to align with the their vision, values, and objectives.  They continue to grow their top partnerships around key elements like jerseys.  They have a range of partners from the large ones like XBOX to much smaller ones.   But all partnerships need to make sense and provide value to the Club.  They look at things from both a book value and  a market value based on the brand, they try not to make it transactional but more buying into the Sounders and their fans and the overall experience.   There are limited edition Coke cans that have been released to celebrate the MLS Cup.

Up next was the discussion around the constitution.  The first one was around Article 4 which dealt with our General meeting and membership in the Alliance.  After some initial word-smithing , the article was approved and passed.  This completed the constitution article changes by the council which is a great accomplishment.

Next up was to review changes to the Supporter Group bylaw (which was reviewed and commented on by representatives of the 4 supporter groups).  The main focus was to remove any de-recognition of any supporter groups.  There was also clarification of the requirements to be recognized which didn’t change fundamentally, essentially show leadership, at least 25 members, participation in group activities to support the club, and be a corporate or charitable entity.

Next up was discussing some issues that have been reported around Gate issues.  Some of these are inconsistencies with what people are experiences, and mostly with women and the purses or clutches.  It’s hard to determine if these are isolated issue or bigger issues.  If you put smaller bags in the clear totes you need to make sure it meets the guidelines.  Tablet cases are OK but if they have keyboards those are not allowed from what we can tell.   Be sure to let the Sounders know if you have negative experiences, include some details and the gate when you have the issue (Twitter is the best as they can potentially deal with it at the game).  Look for a blog post on this with more details coming soon.

We had some open discussion where we reviewed the Initiatives and Programs of the Alliance Council in 2017, moving the July 4th meeting to July 11th, potentially having longer meetings as needed to address work items, and ensuring working groups are providing status at the meetings around progress and updates.

That’s all for this month.  Be sure to comment or let us know your thoughts on Facebook, Twitter or right here on the blog.

 

Meeting Recap: March 2017

photo by Karl Picard

March 25th, 2017

by Karl Picard

Our meeting was March 7th, and included nearly an hour of conversation with the Sounders’ marketing team. The first half of the meeting was a presentation and Q&A with Vice President of Marketing, Kyle Sheldon. They reviewed the look and feel of the schedule posters and banners for the stadium.  They have put an emphasis on the Rave Green – back to basics for marketing.  One other thing they have prioritized is standardizing things across all elements from banners to graphics and between different channels from web to mobile to different social platforms to provide a better experience to the consumer.  Their focus is on local growth but thinking globally as well.  We reviewed some of the work around the season ticket box and delivery including the Golden ticket promotion.

There will be a few new things, too. They will be deploying signs on game day to help fans experience all the game day events and activities. There is now a printed match day program (also available digitally) with a focus on the storytelling: March has articles on both The Save and Brian Schmetzer.  The last thing we covered was the surprise: getting the giant MLS Cup, the very one from the match in Toronto, for the season.  At the time of the meeting they were still working out the details but as many of you saw it is currently sitting behind section 124.  Darla Langdon and Alex Eagleton are the follow-up team for marketing.

After a quick break, we moved on to a review of Articles including the Honorary Chair secondary reading.  The article was voted on and passed unanimously.  Next up was Article 4 and dealing with when the Annual Business Meeting can be held.  The requested change is to ensure we can review the regular season that has just concluded rather than have it scheduled in the beginning of the season or some other time.  We discussed the verbiage around how we deal with any changes to the MLS schedule.  The discussion went into the ability of the Council to put on the Business Meeting without the help of the Sounders front office.  Final was the updates to Bylaw 7 (Supporter Group) which was discussed with 4 different representatives from Supporter Groups (changes stemmed from the proposed updates to the constitution in October).

We discussed steps to take should Stars for All not receive full support from the league.  Luckily, we got a temporary solution shortly after the last meeting.  We will continue to work for a resolution where all teams going forward will have #StarsForAll.

That’s all from March.  There is also the video recap with Martin and Cameron posted.  Sorry for the delay in getting this version out, life got in the way this month.